For admission to the School of Dentistry residency programs, an individual must be eligible to obtain a Virginia temporary resident’s license from the Virginia Board of Dentistry.
Additional requirements for admission to the orthodontic program include:
- Agreement to participate in the Postdoctoral Dental Match Program and to only apply to programs participating in MATCH
- Agreement to participate in the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS)
- Graduation or anticipated graduation from dental school
- Submitted application and supplementary materials (application cover page)
- Completion or anticipated completion of INBDE, or completion of NBDE Part I and anticipated completion of Part II
- Completion of the GRE
- TOEFL (minimum score of 550-paper, 213-computer or 80-internet) or IELTS (minimum score of 6.5) is required for students whose native language is not English.
Faculty in the Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Orthodontics feel that participation in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program is fair and beneficial to all applicants. We also feel that it is in the long-term best interest of the specialty of orthodontics. Consequently, we have decided to interview applicants who are applying exclusively to programs participating in MATCH.
We participate in the Postdoctoral Dental Match Program and in PASS. The deadline for applications is September 1, 2022 for the class entering in 2023. Interviews are by invitation only and are held for selected applicants on October 27 and 28, 2022. A committee consisting of faculty, alumni and student members will review your application. There are four positions available and the admissions process is highly competitive. Classes begin July 1.
Applications submitted are considered without regard to race, gender, religion or national origin. Minorities are encouraged to apply.
All advanced dental education students are required to pass a pre-matriculation drug screen test.